GATE 2023 Introduction
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India.
Qualifying in GATE is a mandatory requirement for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to: (i) Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and (ii) Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Arts and Science, in the institutions supported by the MoE and other Government agencies. Even in some colleges and institutions, which admit students without MoE scholarship/assistantship, the GATE qualification is mandatory. Further, many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have been using the GATE score in their recruitment process.
The information in this brochure is mainly categorized into Pre-Examination (Eligibility, Application Submission, Examination Centres, etc.), Examination (Pattern, Marks/Score, etc.) and Post-Examination (Answers, Contests, Results, Scorecard, etc.) sections.
Note: Candidates opting to appear in TWO subject papers must have a primary choice of paper, which will be their default choice and second choice of paper, which has to be chosen from the allowed combinations given in Table 4.2a. Combinations other than the listed ones are NOT allowed. Under unforeseen circumstances, GATE 2021 committee has the rights to remove certain combinations listed in Table 4.2a at a later date. In such case, the fee paid towards the second paper will be refunded to the candidates. Also note that the examination centre for candidate to appear for the second paper may be different (but in same city) from that for the first paper due to the infrastructure and scheduling constraints. GATE committee is NOT liable for any legal obligations related to this issue.
GATE is NOT an admission ensuring examination. Qualifying in GATE examination does NOT guarantee admission / scholarship. Admission to any institute is fully dependent on the admitting institute's criteria for educational qualification. Similarly, GATE qualification does not assure a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) job, as it depends on the recruitment procedure of the concerned PSU. GATE committee is NOT liable for any legal obligations related to admission / job.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically a national examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Arts, Commerce and Science. GATE 2023 will be conducted for 27 subjects (also referred to as “papers”) and IIT will release official GATE 2023 notification in month of September, 2022 along with GATE Exam Date, GATE Eligibility, GATE Exam Pattern, and GATE Updated Syllabus..
The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on several years of examination data. Note that the GATE 2023 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results. No information on the GATE 2022 score will be available after this period.
Highlights of GATE 2023
- Dates of examination Will be Notified August/Sept. 2023
- Fully Computer Based Test (CBT).
- Two NEW subject papers are introduced:
i. ES (Environmental Science and Engineering)
ii. XH (Humanities and Social Sciences) in Economics / English / Linguistics / Philosophy / Psychology / Sociology.
- Total number of subject papers: 29.
- Syllabi of all subject papers have been revised for GATE 2023.
- All Test Papers of GATE 2023 will be entirely objective type. Pattern of questions may include (i) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), (ii) Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and/or (iii) Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- ONE or TWO subject papers allowed. TWO Paper combinations have to be chosen from the given list of combinations of papers. Final allotment of TWO papers will still be subject to availability of infrastructure and dates.
- Eligibility criteria is relaxed. A candidate who is currently studying in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program OR has already completed any government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible to appear for GATE 2023 examination.
- There is NO age limit to appear for GATE 2023 examination.
- Applications will be accepted ONLINE only through GATE 2023 website link GOAPS.
- GATE 2023 score card will remain valid for THREE years from the date of announcement of results.
- Depending on COVID-19 situation, the schedule of the GATE 2023 examination may change.
- Details available at the official website: http://gate.iitb.ac.in
- Organising Institute: will be by IIT Kanpur.